I was on a roll. I was back. I had run every single day for more than a week and I was feeling good. Even the dark scary mornings weren’t keeping me from getting out there. Then, circumstances beyond my control derailed things and I almost can’t recall the exact day that I ran last.
Whether it’s excuses or life events, we probably have all been there. And we all know what we have to do now: get back out there and #OwnTheRun
Easier said than done, right? Especially with the promise of colder and wetter weather looming as winter approaches.
Those of you who know me or have followed my running journey on my blog, know that I am
somewhat of a fair weather runner. I like sunshine, a slight breeze (at my back the entire time, of course), no rain, no snow, sleet, nothing adverse. Of course, you might also know that I live in Nebraska, where those types of perfect running days don’t come around very often. You can either choose to run on a treadmill or buck up, get outside, face the elements, and take on Mother Nature no matter what she throws your way. Rather than suffer the monotony of every day treadmill runs, I choose the latter.
The game-changer for running in adverse weather conditions always comes down to the gear/clothes you choose.
My head-to-toe guide for winter running includes:
- a stocking hat (I’m partial to my Brooks Cross Country stocking hat with a cute little pom-pom on top — sorry, I don’t have a link to this one as it was a coach’s special)
- a wind-proof pullover (waterproof is also a plus — no link to this one either as it is a golf pullover that my sister gave me!)
- wind-stopper running pants (my husband found these Saucony Wind Resistant Nomad Pants for me and they are the BEST!)
- a good pair of gloves (no link because I’m still looking for the perfect pair of gloves — so any recommendations that you have, please put in the comments!)
- wool socks (I like these Merino wool socks)
- waterproof shoes (like these Brooks Ghost 9 running shoes with GoreTex)
Let’s talk more about these GORE-TEX lined running shoes. Yes, they are a thing and yes, they are a-w-e-s-o-m-e! This is one genius collaboration and runners everywhere will be thanking brands for joining the GORE-TEX bandwagon. Want a chance to try a pair out for yourself? How about a chance to win an entire outfit? Our partners at GORE-TEX are offering readers the chance to enter the #OwnTheRun contest for a chance at great prizes. One lucky winner will win an entire outfit including new shoes with GORE-TEX® liner, running shorts, running pants, a jacket, headphones, and more. Head over to their website, share your #OwnTheRun story and cross your fingers!
Links contained within this post are NOT affiliate links, but simply placed for your convenience. As always, all opinions are my own
What gear do you swear by to get you through the winter months? Any glove/mitten recommendations?
Until Next Time,