**I received these Hemp Hearts from Manitoba Harvest through my role as a Sweat Pink Ambassador**
I had actually never heard of Hemp Hearts and I must admit that my husband freaked out a little bit thinking that they were a form of marijuana! After much research, rest assured, they are not from the same type of cannabis plant that keeps Colorado’s economy thriving (sorry if I offended anyone), they are from another species and contain no THC and will not cause you to fail a drug test. Whew!
my delicious salad with chickpeas, spinach, and hemp hearts
Hemp hearts are a great source of protein and omegas, packing 10 grams of each per 30 gram serving! They are also lower in carbohydrate than both flax and chia. They have a slightly nutty taste and are excellent on top of salad. I also plan to experiment with them in a pesto sauce as I think they will be great in place of the pine nuts. I’ll keep you posted on that! They are also extremely easy to use. You just sprinkle them in or on whatever it is you desire to try them with.
Want to try Hemp Hearts? Enter to win a 2oz/56g bag using the Rafflecopter below! *only available to those living in US or Canada and you must have a physical address (not a POB). I’ll contact the winner by March 8.
If you can’t wait for the contest or if you don’t win, you can still score your own Hemp Hearts or other great products at 20% off using the code HHSweatPink215 at Manitoba Harvest!
I know that if I don’t get out of bed in the morning to workout, I will just lay there for the next 30 minutes thinking about how I should have gotten up, trying to figure out when I will fit a workout in the day ahead, feeling guilty. When I skip a planned morning workout, I always regret it. This is not to say that I get up every single morning, 7 days each week and workout. I schedule sleep-in days and I do not feel an ounce of guilt for them. It is the unplanned days where I lack the will power to get up and get moving, where I let my mind talk me out of it — mind over matter — don’t think, just do. My husband has an amazing amount of will power. He has been running far longer than I have and he just can’t go a day without it. He goes in terrible, windy, cold, blizzard-y weather because he cannot even imagine not going. His will power trait trickles into other areas of his life as well. He shows such dedication to many things and I admire him for it. I will also admit that my will power has increased over the years primarily because of watching and admiring my his determination.
The will to succeed in whatever you’re doing in life is such a valuable trait – or is it a skill? Is will power something that you’re born with or something that you can attain? Nature or Nurture?
I came across this idea from a blog I follow called My Healthyish Life and thought it was so good that I had to steel borrow it for my blog! So get ready to find out some interesting things about me that I’m sure you’ve been wondering about!
1. What is your current health related goal? As I’ve mentioned in previous posts, my goal is to run outside throughout the winter. I got a new pair of Saucony Wind Shield pants that are sure to make that goal more possible. I ran for the first time in 5 inches of snow and managed to get in 4 miles!
2. Do you enjoy wrapping presents? Not really. First of all, I am not good at it. I always either cut too much paper or not enough and it never lays flat. It also seems as if it’s never ending. If we go to my parents’ house, my dad asks me to wrap the gifts he purchased for my mom. If we go to my father-in-law’s house, he asks me to wrap the gifts he purchased…
3. What’s your favorite cross training activity? I like to lift weights, play volleyball on a women’s league, sculpt yoga, rowing, and any of the videos on PopSugar Fitness.
4. If I came to visit you, what would we do? We would take a walk and go shopping at our niche retail shops in town. We’d also go to coffee at the little cafe downtown.
5. You have 2 weeks off of work and 2 round trip plane tickets. Where would you go and who would you take? I’d love to go to Australia. My grandmother was from there and I still have relatives there that I’d like to visit. I would, of course, take my husband (I have to tell you that I’d probably purchase two additional tickets so my girls could come along – two weeks is too long to go without them!)
6. What’s the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to you during a workout? Once I was running on the treadmill at the local YMCA and I was watching Saturday Night Live (the old ones, with Chris Farley and the gang). It was the one with Chris Farley and Patrick Swayze when they are Chippendale dancers. I burst out laughing and everyone just stared at me. By the end of my run, every single TV was tuned to Saturday Night Live.
7. Tell me the best 3 days of your life. Or at least the first 3 that pop into your mind. In no particular order:
1. The day that I married my best friend
2. The birth of my first daughter
3. The birth of my second daughter
8. Okay, you HAVE to eat a fast food meal. What restaurant would you choose and what would you order. Runza. I’d order a traditional Runza with the crinkle fries AND dip them in Ranch dressing. Yep, I’d go for it! Oh, and if you’re not familiar with Runza, you should google it. It is a Nebraska based fast food restaurant and. It. Is. Awesome.
9. Have you ever met a celebrity? Nope.
10. Share a picture of yourself in non workout clothes.
My family at a wedding
11. If you could choose to have a ‘do-over’ and switch careers, what would you do and why? I’d be a dietitian or something with fitness
12. If you won the Olympic Gold medal how do you think you would react?
Goosebumps for sure, then probably some happy tears, lots of hugs and high fives and of course cake.
13. What do you want for Christmas your birthday? Considering Christmas has passed and my birthday is in January, I would like a new pair of skinny jeans (I found a pair of Big Stars on clearance downtown and I. Want. Them.)
*update: I now own those jeans! I happened to win a gift card recently and decided to treat myself!
14. What skill do you lack? I can’t carry a tune. I love to sing, but I seriously only sound good in the shower or while driving….fast…. with the windows down
15. Post a fitness/running/race related photo
My husband and I after finishing the Tough Mudder
Please join in on the fun and answer some of these random questions – either on your blog or in the comments below!
If we were having coffee….You’d probably ask what was new with me. And I’d tell you that I didn’t know where to begin. I’d tell you that my husband just recently accepted a new position in a community a couple of hours away. That the new position will start July 1 and we will all be relocating early this summer. I’d tell you that I don’t have a job yet or even any leads (but that I’m hopeful). I’d also tell you that I feel both excitement and sadness at the opportunities that lay before us. I’d tell you that I am sad to leave behind the perfect job that I have with the perfect boss and the perfect colleagues. And yet, I’m excited at the chance to start something new, meet new people, make friends, plus it is a really great opportunity for my husband to advance.
If we were having coffee….I’d tell you that I’m doing pretty well with my fitness goals for 2015. I participated in a challenge to run 100 miles in the month of January – and I DID IT! I’d tell you that I was now ready to commit to trying yoga on a regular basis. You’d ask me to keep you posted on my progress and I’d promise to do so.
If we were having coffee…. I’d talk to you about what races I want to sign up for this year. I’d ask you your thoughts on either the Georgetown to Idaho Springs Half or the Mickelson Trail Half. I’d also tell you that the new community that we are moving to has a lot of racing opportunities and I am excited about that.
If we were having coffee…. It would probably be time to go pick up the kids, go for a run, squeeze in some yoga, write a blog post, or go back to work. We would hug and tell each other how great it was to chat and promise to meet up again March 7 for another Ultimate Coffee Date.
This has been a crazy week. I attribute it to the wild weather pattern that we experienced. We had below 20 degrees with 5-6 inches of snow and a snow day for the kids followed by a 50+ degree day and today it’s nearly 70 degrees. CRAZY!
I’m glad it’s a 5 Things Friday day and even more fun that I’m doing it in snapshots. See below my post for the Link-Ups that I’m participating in today and join in on the fun!
Wrapping up the #NoExcuses #SweatPink Challenge. It was a fun week of yoga, push-ups, high knees, and planks.
Running outside always takes its toll on my skin, whether it be protecting it from the sun or the wind and cold – a good moisturizer is always essential. This Renewed Hope in a Jar is a great choice. It is time released moisture and feels luxurious! Plus, the theme is kind of my motto: Live with optimism renew with hope..
Fun workout clothes. As you all know, I LOVE pink (borderline obsessive). This top and pants are from Aeropostale (who knew they had such cute workout clothes?!). The Bra is from Victoria’s Secret Sport, FlipBelt, and Sparkly Soul headbands.
Nothing like a warm day to convince me to add a little color into my drab winter wardrobe!
“Spring breathes new life into the world around us” – Unknown
Good Morning! I’m glad today is a Thinking Out Loud day because I’m not sure I can formulate a post that flows smoothly on just one theme or topic! Thanks for hosting this link-up Amanda!
I’m having a moment this February where I have nearly fallen off the wagon with my running. It is a conglomeration of things: the weather is terrible, I have been a little sick, I’ve been a lot tired, super busy, and just not that motivated. I know – #NoExcuses, right?! I’ll get back to it. In fact, I have my bag packed for a quick run over my lunch hour. I love running over lunch. It sends me back to work re-energized (and sometimes a little red faced). The worst part is the mad rush after the workout – the shower, re-dressing, re-applying make-up, etc. But it will be totally worth it.
We are working to get our house ready to sell since we are moving this summer. It seems like every waking moment we are either painting, or cleaning, or organizing, or packing…it’s exhausting! We replaced the basement carpet yesterday and it looks so nice. I hope that when house-hunters look at it they love it as much as I do. We have a great house and I will be sad to move away from it.
Speaking of house hunting, we are going to look at a house this Saturday. I already know we are going to LOVE it! It is a 19th Century Queen Ann style home on a small acreage with a pond – it’s like it was taken directly from my dreams! It has been in one family for 100 years. I am sure it will be a project house, but can you imagine the character?
Here I am a few years ago with bangs
Along the lines of change – I’ve been thinking of getting bangs. I have had them before and I know that every time I have them I tell my hair stylist to talk me out of it the next time…but, it’s a way to change my look without having to sacrifice my length. I’ve been growing my hair out for awhile and I really like the length, but I am itching for a change….
That’s it for my Thinking Out Loud. What random things are you thinking about today?
Today I’m linking up with Jill Conyers and Jessica for #dishthefit and the optional topic is Try Something New. As most of you know in January I participated in a challenge to run 100 miles during the month (and did I mention that I DID IT – 100 miles — boom!). I love running and it is still the easiest way for me to workout (no prep or thought required except for maybe a quick weather check) but sometimes I need to change it up. Here are a few ways that I’m going to add to my running in order to mix it up in February.
Try Zumba – I recently purchased the FabFitFun VIP Winter Box and in it was a Zumba DVD created by Legendary Zumba creator, Beto. The part I’m most excited about is to try the one hour workout in the privacy of my home rather than in a group fitness class where everyone will notice that I’m challenged in the dance department.
Push-Ups – A couple of years ago, I started doing 10 push-ups every night before bed. It was amazing how quickly I noticed visible results in my arms. I haven’t been doing them regularly for quite some time and I’m bringing them back this February. Today’s SweatPink #NoExcuses Challenge happens to be 20 push-ups, so I will start today!
PiYo – This is the month that I will try PiYo! While we don’t have the class at my gym, I will check out PopSugar or another online resource to find an intro class and check this one off my list of workouts to try!
What are some things that you want to try? Have you tried PiYo or Zumba?
I was tagged by Alyse @TheSweatGuru to participate in this latest MadLib challenge. Check out my post and then come up with one of your own!
When I think about yoga, the first thought that comes to mind is Ommm Yoga Relaxes (verb) me and makes me feel Refreshed (noun).
That’s why I am SO Stoked (adjective) to participate in prAna’s Take The Leap 30 days of Yoga Challenge with Sweat Pink. I plan to Crow (yoga pose) my way to a more Relaxing (adjective) and Energizing (adjective) 2015!
For me, the biggest challenge when it comes to yoga is Staying Focused – without my mind wandering Taking the Leap with prAna and Sweat Pink is a great way for me to face/ conquer / achieve / find Inner Quiet (same challenge / or be creative!).
My favorite place to yoga is in my basement (noun) because it is so peaceful (adj).
Here’s a photo of me in my very best [crow pose] (yoga pose or other creative pose).
I want these fabulous bloggers to share their very best yoga pose photos, this fun madlib and of course, I challenge them to join me on this fun 30 day yoga journey
Come on y’all, Take the Leap with me!
Join prAna’s & Sweat Pink’s Take the Leap 30 Days of Yoga Challenge and be eligible to win $500 worth of prAna gear and / or be the lucky winner who gets to gift $500 worth of prAna gear to one lucky winner. They just launched their new spring collection so you best get on it!
If I win I would gift the $500 to My Sister, Amanda [insert name and blog URL (if applicable) because she Rocks!
My husband always says, “you can make an excuse to not go workout – Or you can make an excuse todo it; it’s your choice.”
I love this because either way, it’s just words. One set creates a barrier and the other tears it down – clears the path – motivates. It’s a mindset.
I’ve been participating in the #SweatPink #NoExcuses challenge for the last couple of weeks. It’s fun to check out the creative videos and pictures of how others are taking on the #NoExcuses challenge. But it’s also amazing how it has people doing something physical every day. I truly feel like my day is not complete until I get to post my daily challenge to all my social media pages.
I am usually active on a daily basis, almost always fitting in some form of a workout, but there are days when excuses aside, I just don’t get it done. But with this challenge, that’s not the case. I know that it’s one thing (one set of push-ups or lunges or a plank, etc) it will take less than 5 minutes. So I do it. I get it done. And then I get to create a photo collage of me doing it or a video to win awesome prizes. (Augusta Active, ShowerPill, ActivMotion Bar, Actio926, Flipbelt, Zola Coconut Water, FRS, and WIN Detergent)
I even get my kids and husband involved and setting a healthy example for them is why I make working out and eating right a priority. They are my excuse!
It’s been a great experience and taught me that even with the most popular of excuses, “I don’t have time”, I learned that I have 5 minutes (which sometimes turns into 20). It is just as easy to make an excuse toget that run in or an excuse tochoose the healthier snack rather than an excuse to get me out of it, I always feel better.
I’m linking up this week with Cynthia,Mar and Courtney’s Friday Link-up and this week’s theme is 5 things about me. We have all done “about me” pages, but it isn’t too often that we just tell our readers fun things about ourselves to let you get to know us better. I love this theme! Well…let’s get to it!
1. I love PINK. You know how you aren’t supposed to choose a book by it’s cover? Well, how about its color? My eye is always drawn to the pink one – no matter what “one” we’re talking about. My childhood nickname (plus almost all of my social media handles) is Pinkess. Pink – It just makes me happy – completes me. Okay, enough cheesiness, but I seriously do love pink!
2. I didn’t always love to run. In fact, I was a sprinter in high school and considered 400 meters long distance. I remember saying (out loud), “if the farthest I run is a 200, why does coach make me run a mile in practice?” Yeah…. if I could know then, what I know now, I might have been amazing rather than just a consistent 2nd-3rd place sprinter.
3. I like to sew, craft, create…you name it! I just got a “new” craft room and I absolutely love it! I wish I would have done it 10 years ago rather than just 6 months before we move, but at least we can enjoy it for a few months. The best part about this new room, is that it’s not a usable space for much else and no one sees it. The kids can make a mess and if they spill, they spill. I don’t freak out and crafting is so much more relaxed now. There is not permanent carpet, just some scraps we laid down and we painted the walls a fun color. It’s awesome!
4. I am a beauty product junkie. I subscribe to two different monthly beauty boxes (see my post here for more on that), I also just ordered the FitFabFun VIP box (got a great deal), I buy hair product Every. Single. Time. I’m in the salon, and I actually open the daily emails that I get from Sephora. I just love the products – looking at them, testing them, buying them…. But I don’t love the mess under my sink and the makeup bag that is so full I can’t find what I need. This is my year to get organized in this department and to start purging my cabinets of unused samples and products.
5. I love (and eat daily) dessert. This surprises many people because I also love health and fitness. Bigger surprise? You CAN do both! I do not believe in deprivation and I also work hard nearly every day in order to indulge without the guilt. That being said, I do need to watch my sugar intake and I have really been meaning to try one of the sugar challenges – but I. Must. Have. Dessert. So…. if you have any recipes that I could try that would make me think I was having something decadent without all the sugar – I am willing to listen!
There. A few quick things that you may not have known about me before this post. I hope you enjoyed reading it! What about you? What are some quirky things about you that not everyone knows? Are you surprised about any of my 5 things?